May 16, 2007

Do it!


So my friend M-Y-K and I were joking about the 1975 Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony song “The Hustle” the other night. (Inside joke with long back story) That prompted me give it a listen yesterday, and you know, I honestly forgot how fuckin’ great the song is! I concede that it hasn’t dated nearly as well as other disco songs (keep in mind that it was released pretty early in the disco era), but if you listen with an objective ear, it’s really nothing short of a great pop song.


What is there to not love about this song? I especially love the Herb Alpert-y touch with the horns. I also love the lyrics, all 5 words of it. “Do The Hustle!” “Do it!” I’m sure this observation as been made before, but jeez, that lyric is so demanding! It’s like they’re holding you at gun point; “You BETTER shake your booty or else!”

I also wanted to add my praise to the first two volumes (and only the first two volumes) of “The Disco Years” released by Rhino records in 1990. I’m not really into compilation CDs, but I’ve had these 2 CD’s for many years now and they are really superb. In my opinion, if somebody quickly wanted the most absolutely basic, yet moderately comprehensive 70s disco collection in 4 CDs or less, I would recommend these two albums, along with the Donna Summer 12 inch single compilation called “The Dance Collection” and maybe “Dance, Dance, Dance: The Best of Chic”? That’s just my opinion, does anyone else have recommendations?



That awesome GIF came from this website. Many thanks to a certain blogger for bringing it to my attention!

No comments: