April 29, 2007

The Price Is Right aesthetic....


I don’t know what it is, Perhaps it’s my love of all 70s décor. (It is a universal truth that interior/set design peaked in the 1970s, just like everyone knows that fashion reached its zenith in the 1980s. Both have only gone downhill since.) Jeremy Scott did a game show inspired collection back in 2001 that I thought was fucking genius, considering the time. (Here's a video of the collection and Jeremy Scott meeting Vanna White)

The fact that the show has changed little in 35 years is reassuring, and I think that’s a big reason for its continued popularity. One change I wished they hadn't made was the models; they should have kept the old school ones, Janice, Dian and Holly.




Look at them! If I ran that show I would still have these ladies on. 50 and 60-something year old plastic surgery victims are always hot! And, they would still have these outfits and hair, then, the show would be perfection.

My friend M-y-k and I have gone to a taping twice within the past year, once before and once after Bob Barker announced his retirement. Neither times were we called to “come on down!” (Apparently, we’re not “TV pretty”). I guess winning some Michael C. Fina or a Broyhill dinette set wasn’t in the cards for us.

I’ll spare you all the details of my experience at The Price Is Right, the million other blog entries out there pretty much cover it. It’s mostly many hours of waiting in boredom until the hour of taping which is very exciting. Oh, and the studio smells like the 70’s. I also really, really want to make a shirt from the proscenium curtains. (As seen in this old picture of Rod Roddy...)


You can see my friend and I yell out prices in the audience tomorrow, April 30, 2007.


In the meantime, enjoy my favorite TPIR music/sounds/links…

TPIR fan site
TPIR fonts and sound bytes
TPIR music

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Taylor again. That Consolation Prize music is beautiful. Fucking gorgeous. :)

I'm so jealous you're going to TPIR for the 3rd time, i've neeever been!

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how modern society has evolved to become so integrated with technology. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4 SDHC[/url] DS NetSurf)